|When things go wrong in the kitchen.|
I decided to get up early to make breakfast for the boy. I found a new oatmeal waffle recipe with a banana topping. I left my waffle maker on too long while prepping the batter and it died. Now when I plug it in, nothing happens. Plan B: Make oatmeal pancakes. This went well until I tried to flip them and they fell apart. The taste was delicious so the boy could care less about their appearance.
For my next trick, I made green smoothies. I've been using my father's Blendtec while my Vitamix is out for repair (see the Vitamix recall website to check to see if your blades have been recalled). I decided to take my hand off of the top of the blender for 2 seconds and it exploded all over my kitchen. It looked like a murder scene painted green. There was smoothie all over my cabinets, floor, walls, kitchen mat, toaster (inside and outside), juicer, oven, refrigerator, and of course, all over ME.
Instead of getting mad about all of this, I stayed in the solution. I got to work cleaning the green. I wiped, mopped, and cleaned everything to new again. The waffle maker couldn't be saved, but every other appliance is working fine. I changed clothes and started a load of laundry. Then I began to count my blessings. There are so many things to be grateful for to allow this to get me down. I decided to list them here:
- I have a kitchen full of high end appliances. Not everyone is so fortunate.
- The smoothie explosion did not destroy my iPhone (it was right next to the blender).
- This is MY kitchen and MY mess. I only have to clean up after myself. My son is old enough to clean up after himself.
- I have the luxury of moving slowly in the morning. Today I don't have to leave for work until after noon, so I had plenty of time to clean up the mess before heading out.
- My work does not feel like work. I'd do it for free...but don't tell them that.
- I have finally achieved work/life balance.
- I have very little stress in my life. And any stress that comes passes quickly.
- There is a washing machine in my apartment complex. I used to have to lug my laundry to a laundromat.
- I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I must admit, I'm a pretty sexy clean up woman. Thanks to Tracy Anderson and her metamorphosis workout, my butt is lifted, abs are flattening, and my thighs are shrinking. I'm feeling skinny today.
- I'm in good health. I can breath through my nose and all of my body parts are functioning properly.
- I have friends and family members who love me.
Life is good.